An exciting day at Rata Street School with Education Minister Chris Hipkins and Mayor Ray Wallace, TAKA Trust chairman, Matt Reid, school staff, board members and some of the tamariki who are part of the TAKA Wifi scheme.
What TAKA Trust has achieved so far
- TAKA Wifi. In 2018, thanks to Chorus, Network4Learning and the Ministry of Education, 124 Years 5 and 6 children from Rata Street School get free wifi access to their school’s secure managed network.
- School bikes. RIDE Holidays has raised funds for over 160 brand new bikes and helmets for the children from our local Schools. They are partners of TAKA Trust who continue to fundraise all year around to provide our tamariki with brand new safe bikes and helmets.
- Symphony in the Hutt. In 2018, we were able to stage a free concert at the Walter Nash Centre with the support of Orchestra Wellington, Lower Hutt Sports Awards, Hutt Mana Trust, Pelorus Trust, Hutt City Council and Creative Communities. This world class event was attended by more than 1000 people from the north eastern suburbs.
- Sport! More than 4,000 tickets to Hurricanes, Wellington Lions and Phoenix games for children and their families to attend.
- Trips to town. Each week, free buses have taken groups on educational trips to Te Papa, Parliament, Westpac Stadium, and more. Providing buses to our low decile schools enables them to take tamariki on excursions around Wellington to places which, in some cases, the children have never been before.
- KPMG has provided free professional expertise to each school, manpower at working bees and Christmas presents. They also offer scholarships to Taita College students.
- More corporate support. Corporate partners have donated laptops and computers to the five schools.
- Private generosity. A private donor has provided hundreds of school bags, stationery items and drink bottles to the children that need them the most.
- Thanks Hutt City Council! Hutt City Council has been a major partner of TAKA Trust helping empowering our tamariki providing resources, spaces and much much more.
Projects in the pipeline in 2019
- TAKA Wifi. Our current major focus is to ensure that all kids in the north eastern suburbs have access to digital devices and community WIFI to enhance their learning and achievement. The Rata Street School scheme will be evaluated in 2019, with further roll-out to other schools in the north east suburbs planned subject to school and community readiness.
- Ride for Bikes. Ride Holidays’s Karl Woolcott (pictured) Cycling has been very good for RIDE Holidays which is why we’ve agreed to match any donation you make. Our target for 2018 was originally 25 bikes for one school. We actually achieved 50 bikes for two schools. Taita Central and Randwick School. Our new goal is to supply bikes to two new schools each year. As of March 2019 we’ve just rolled out our third school – Naenae Primary. See https:kids/https://www.rideholidays.co.nz/Site/cycle-tours/festival-of-cycling/
- Symphony in the Hutt 2019. TAKA Trust has decided to make this an annual event following the overwhelming enthusiasm from tamariki, whanau and the wider community after the 2018 concert. We are very grateful to Orchestra Wellington for offering to return in 2019, along with our amazing talented Annie Crummer as our lead singer. TAKA Trust is currently looking for sponsors for the 2020 event – if you are interested please contact us.